27 May 2017

Less is More #330 - Shimmer



Hello friends! Are all you people in the UK enjoying your long weekend? Hopefully the weather will be kind to you no matter what you have planned and wherever you are in the world.

I've had a hectic week again but today - I'm going to pretend I am on holiday. I'll do some sunbathing, a bit of swimming and tonight we'll go out for a meal and some musical entertainment. I can do with the break as we've been entertaining other people for the past few days.

Anyway, it's Saturday so time for a new Less is More challenge.



I must admit I was a bit stumped this week. I have loads of sparkly things but not much shimmery stuff.

Still managed 3 cards though, so let's take a look at how I handled it.


1) Shimmering background


When I think of the word 'shimmer' I imagine delicate things with a pearlescent or soft sheen, like silk or satin.

So with this first card I took inspiration from the soft sheen textiles and created a shimmering background made by adding a wash of watered down perfect pearls powder to a piece of white linen card stock. I HAD to use one of my new Uniko stamps as I was itching to ink this little beauty up - it being my all-time favourite flower. The beautiful lily was coloured with felt tip pens and fussy cut.

STAMPS: Uniko pure florals: lily
DIE: Tattered Lace
OTHER: Perfect pearls in perfect pearl, water & a paintbrush, Steadler triplus fine liner felt tip pens, white linen card, 3d foam

I'm going to pop that card in at the following challenges:
Crafty Creations #342 - Anything Goes
Creative Moments #118 - Anything Goes
The House That Stamps Built M2417 - Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination #128 - Anything Goes

 

2) Shimmering Faux Mother of Pearl (a twofer!)


Mother of pearl is another thing that I think of when I see that word 'shimmer'.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos on this faux mother of pearl technique to see how it was done. I didn't have any frosted shimmer paint so I had to get creative and out came my pearlescent stencil dimension paste as a substitute on some super smooth glossy white card.   Not a bad substitute really.



I love it when you can use the 'inn-ey' and the 'out-ey' of a die cut (ok, I used my ScanNCut for this but using die cut words would work just as well). So, two cards for one piece of die cut paper. These actually look really shimmery in real life especially on the pearlescent card base.


INKS: Big n Juicy Hyrangea rainbow pad & a brayer
OTHER: Centura Pearl cardstock for card base, Glossy white card, Sweet Poppy pearlescent dimension paste, Tattered Lace sentiments and phrases USB

These ones are for:
The Mod Squad - Birthday Bash
Stampavie and More # 287 - For a boy/man
The Crafty Addicts #36 - Anything Goes/use die cuts
The Crazy Challenge #249 Birthday

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it from me this week. Please remember to take a peek at what the rest of the design team have made for more inspiration and I hope you will join us.

Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs,
Sharon xx

18 comments:

  1. Three great cards and well done on getting this much done considering how busy you've been! I LOVE that first card and really do need to get my hands on that lily set! What a great idea to paint your linen cardstock too, so pretty. And a great two-fer with the faux mother of pearl, loving that font. When I did faux mother of pearl I used some liquid pearls on a paper towel to add to my project, worked really well so that's another to try if you have any :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW ! Stunning cards Sharon ! I love your Lily card, so delicate ! I love this stamp set and you coloured it so beautifully with the Triplus pens ! But the most amazing is the background, I though it was a shimmer paper you bought ! What a wonderful result you've achieved with your linen card, perfect pearls and water ! Your two last cards are also gorgeous, I didn't know this technique but I love it ! It's another beautiful way to make spectacular backgrounds ! And of course in blue it can only be gorgeous ! đŸ˜€Another awesome week from you ! Have a lovely weekend ! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the shimmery background that you have created on that linen card, Sharon - it sets off your beautifully coloured lily perfectly! Love the twofer as well - that faux pearl effect looks really luxurious. I hope you enjoy your 'day off' and have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards! I love that shimmer and shine and the way you used both to make two birthday cards! So pretty! Thanks so much for playing along with us at  The Mod Squad Challenge Angie, Challenge Host.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous set of cards, Sharon. Your Lily card is stunning. Gorgeous shimmery bg and so beautifully coloured. And I love your negative/positive 2-fer-1 cards. So clever substituting with the paste you had on hand. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shimmer - and the image you used is beautiful. Love the ombre Birthday card as well. Thanks for joining us at The House that Stamps Built this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Sharon, HOW gorgeous? That shimmery background on the first card is totally stunning, and your colouring of the lily is amazing. Felt tips? You have crazy ninja colouring skills! The two-fer are both soooo stylish with that beautiful shimmery faux MoP card and cool blue colour... totally love them! Have a great weekend teamie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing cards, Sharon! I love your coloring, I love how you've left "the brush strokes" on show and not blended them -this look really fits the image. Wonderful self made pearlescent card too! Your card duo with blue color tones is absolutely pretty too and I want to learn this technique -I have actually no idea how it's made. Thanks for inspiration and enjoy your free Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bunch of fabulous cards! That first one with the lilies is just gorgeous in its simplicity! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really like the textures and effects you have created! Very inspiring! Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Addicts and Good Luck! :)
    Annabel - Crafty Addicts DT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do I start Sharon, so many shimmering beauties that you've put together with so little time from a busy week. I'd have to start with the lily! WOW! Simply magical ... my all time favourite bloom and painting the linen cardstock with perfect pearls is so inspirational. Never tried that but may have to give it a go. The colouring of your lily is awesome too. I also tried the mother of pearl technique but not so successfully but you've rocked it here with a brilliant two-fer. Wonderful ideas and have a wonderful week. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! These are all so beautiful! Thanks for joining us at The House that Stamps Built!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing...your first card with the lilly looks just like the flowers I received for Mothers Day! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cards are beautiful. I love the blue and die cut. So glad you shared over at Stampavie and More..
    Billie A
    Stampavie and More
    Catch the bug
    Inspiration Destination
    Creative with Stamps
    Aud Sentiments

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cards are fantastic.

    Marjeta

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous set of cards. Thanks for joining with us at The Crazy Challenge.
    Yaiza DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful sympathy card, thanks for sharing with Inspiration Destination and we hope to see you again next time. Wendy DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. All lovely but lilies are my favourite flower so the first one is a definite favourite Sharon - the shimmery background is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for visiting my blog.
It is wonderful to read your comments and feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to comment.